Top things to see and do in Gyumri Armenia
Gyumri is the second-largest city in Armenia and has a rich history and culture. It is also known for its unique architecture, which includes traditional Armenian buildings mixed with Russian-style structures from the Soviet era. Here are some reasons why you should visit Gyumri and what to do and see while you are there:
- Explore the historic architecture: Gyumri has many unique buildings that reflect its cultural heritage. Some of the most notable structures include the Sev Berd Fortress, the Alexander Tamanyan Memorial House-Museum, and the Aslamazyan Sisters' Gallery.
- Visit the Black Fortress: The Black Fortress is a ruined medieval castle that dates back to the 5th century. It is a popular tourist attraction and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Walk around Vardanants Square: Vardanants Square is the main square in Gyumri and is home to many historic buildings and monuments. It is also a popular gathering place for locals and tourists alike.
- Learn about Gyumri's history: The Gyumri Historical Museum is an excellent place to learn about the city's rich history. It has many exhibits that showcase Gyumri's past, including its involvement in the Armenian Genocide.
- Enjoy the local cuisine: Gyumri has a thriving food scene, and there are many restaurants and cafes where you can try traditional Armenian dishes. Some of the most popular foods in Gyumri include Qyalla - beaf head cooked in oven, khorovats (grilled meat) and dolma (stuffed grape leaves).
- Visit the Kumayri old town: Kumayri is the historic old town of Gyumri, with its traditional Armenian houses and cobbled streets. You can take a walking tour to explore the area's architecture and learn about its history.
- Attend cultural events: Gyumri is known for its vibrant cultural scene, and there are many events and festivals throughout the year. Some of the most popular events include the Gyumri International Biennial of Contemporary Art and the Gyumri Beer Festival.
Overall, Gyumri is a fascinating destination for those interested in Armenian culture and history. With its unique architecture, delicious food, and lively cultural scene, it is a must-visit for anyone traveling to Armenia.